Schools of Warren
I am in process of going to
each school district to get more information. So you will hopefully see several
pages on schools in the future. Wes
The first schools were held
in temporary shelters. The greatest part of the child's education was
taught by being shown how to do chores and tasks that the parents needed to have
done. It was hands on learn by doing and was very effective. Many
people living in our area did not know how to read or write.
pioneers were first too busy with just surviving. Children had to work to
survive. They learned survival skills
from their parents. But
as farms developed and farm families were
able to support their families they felt the need for basic education. Most residents at that time were not able to
read or write. Sometimes they would have
others come to their homes to teach their children.
Some of the local churches may have been
involved with some basic education.
Richer families sometimes send a child away to school.
Probably about 1840 the
actual first school house in the Warren Township was
first known school was s split log school house the farmers built at
Road (Chicago Road) and Ryan roads.
This school house was also used for a church for both the
Baptist groups. This log building also
had uncomfortable split log benches.
Later a newer better wood frame
building was built in 1894 to the south on Ryan
Road. That burned down in 1931.
A Brick one room school building
was constructed in 1931. Later it additional rooms were added. That
red brick building still standing. It is being
currently being used by Korean war Veterans. Of late it has been place for sale.
North School Berz was built
The North school built in
1859 was also called the Berz school
It was located on the West
side of Mound just South of 15 Mile Road.
It became part of the
Warren Consolidated School District in 1941,
It was sold in August of
South School 1866
The South school was built in 1866. It was located on
the East side of Mound Road between 13 Mile Road and 12 Mile Road. It was also
called the Halmich School. In November of 1945 it was sold to General
Motors and is now part of the GM Tech Center.
There was also an East School built before 1875 on North side of
Road between Van Dyke and Mound. It was about 500 feet
west of Van Dyke. It was sold in August 1951 to Seventh Day Adventst
Church. From 1963 to 1968 with new owners it was extensively
remodeled. It now exists as part of Teddys Tavern.
Bunert One Room School
Bunert One Room School was built in 1875 and located on
the northeast corner of Bunert and Martin Roads. It was named after August and Mine Bunert who
sold the land to the Warren School District No. 4 in January of 1875. The school is a wood frame board-and-batten
structure. Originally the school housed
students in grades 1-8.
Bunert Standard was built in
Bunert Standard 1927 School
Betty Chargo at Left Class of 1940
larger two room school was built in 1927 and sat next to the Bunert School.
Classes K-4 were taught in the one room school, 5-6 and 7-8 were taught
in the two room school. The two schools
had 3 teachers and 65 students. Classes were held in it until 1944. The two older schools were then sold to John
O’Connor who made them into residences.
In 1970 it was sold to the Santa Maria Lodge. In 1987 the lodge people offered it to The
Warren Historical Society who later moved a few hundred yards to its present
location just south of the Tower High
School and have restored it as a school and museum. In 1944 a new 6 room school was built and
named Charwood after Betty Chargo and Irene Woodward.
School was built in 1926.
was built in 1926. It was the first school
within the Villiage of Warren. It closed in 1978. Was used for
storage after that until it was demolished.
Flynn Junior High School was dedicated 1973.